+41 (0)44 212 40 60 info@pilotagetax.ch

Pilotage US Tax & Accounting

FAQ & Tax Resources

is now

Dear Client,

We are pleased to inform you about exciting changes taking place at US Tax Services AG. As a company, our story is more than 30 years old, though the last 10 years have seen the greatest change in our business. From incorporation in 2009 to building out our team and expertise we have constantly striven to be the premier firm in Switzerland offering U.S. tax compliance, accounting and advisory services.

Along the way we’ve seen the difficulties many of you have faced as Americans abroad. Dealing with two tax systems can be challenging enough and there has been a scarcity of reliable options for those of you who have sought legal and financial advice.

Thus, as we celebrate our 10 year anniversary we are incredibly proud to report that we have joined forces with Pilotage Private Wealth and Pilotage Private Office to form a group of companies that can offer tax, investment and legal advisory services, especially tailored to the unique needs of Americans abroad.

Going forward, US Tax Services AG will be known as Pilotage US Tax and Accounting. And though our name has changed, you can expect the same great service and reliability you’ve come to expect from us over the years. Our focus has always been on making the tax process as painless as possible and our partners share these values in their own areas of specialization.

We’ve spent more than two years preparing for this partnership and we have more exciting news coming in the next few months. We’ve heard your struggles and our intention is to offer a single point of contact for your tax, investment and legal needs so we can work together seamlessly to offer you the best experience possible.

These are exciting times for all of us and we are grateful for your trust and support. If you have questions about anything please get in touch with your tax advisor and we’ll be in touch soon with more details.

Kind regards,
Ryan Larson, EA
Managing Director
Pilotage US Tax & Accounting

Löwenstrasse 40, 8001 Zürich, Switzerland

+41 (0)44 212 40 60


Filing Due Dates

Special announcement: Due date extended to July 15, 2020 due to COVID-19

 On March 21, 2020, the IRS announced that the federal income tax filing due date is automatically extended from April 15, 2020 to July 15, 2020.

 Taxpayers can also defer federal income tax payments due on April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020, without penalties and interest, regardless of the amount owed. This deferment applies to all taxpayers, including individuals, trusts and estates, corporations and other non-corporate tax filers as well as those who pay self-employment tax.

Taxpayers do not need to file any additional forms to qualify for this automatic federal tax filing and payment relief. Taxpayers who need additional time to file beyond the July 15 deadline, can request a filing extension by filing Form 4868.

The IRS urges taxpayers who are due a refund to file as soon as possible. Most tax refunds are still being issued within 21 days.

This relief only applies to federal income tax (including tax on self-employment income) payments otherwise due April 15, 2020, not state tax payments or deposits or payments of any other type of federal tax.

For many of our clients who need a filing extension until October 15, 2020, we will be requesting a filing extension before April 15, 2020 as is our customary service.

 Customary due dates

Taxpayers living abroad receive an automatic extension until June 15, 2020 to send in their 2019 income tax returns. This due date can be extended to October 15, 2020 if a request form is filed. Finally, it’s possible to send a letter to the IRS asking for a second and final extension to December 15, 2020.

 However, if tax is due, it must be paid by April 15, 2020 in order to avoid interest charges. You may make a prepayment by April 16th and only file your tax return by the extended due date.

 The Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) must be electronically filed by April 15, 2020 with an automatic extension possible until October 15, 2020. There can be severe penalties for late filing of the FBAR so it’s very important that it be filed on time.

 The IRS has become much stricter about when and how tax returns must be sent from abroad to be considered as timely filed. Please find further information in our flyer «Mailing Your Tax Return».


Who must file a U.S. tax return?

American citizens and green card holders are taxed on their worldwide income, regardless of where they live or where their income is derived. Whether or not an American taxpayer actually needs to file depends on their level of income and filing status, such as single, married filing jointly, head of household, etc.

For tax year 2019, the income threshold is $5 if you are Married Filing Separately, $12,000 for a Single filer, $18,000 for a taxpayer who files as Head of Household and $24,000 for Married Filing Jointly status. These amounts also increase for taxpayers who are 65 or older.

Unlike Switzerland, the IRS filing requirements are based strictly on income and not age. Thus, turning 18 does not automatically oblige a child to begin filing a tax return. However, earning income or having ownership of or access to foreign financial accounts may also cause someone below the age of 18 to be obliged to file a tax return or FBAR. Please find further information in our flyer «Child Required to File?».

What is the Report of Foreign Bank Accounts (FBAR)?

Americans and green card holders who have foreign (non-U.S.) bank or financial accounts with an aggregate value of $10,000 or more at any time during the year must file an FBAR to declare their ownership over the accounts. Generally, all bank accounts, securities accounts and 3rd Pillar accounts must be declared. These accounts must be declared even if you own them jointly or only have signatory authority over them. The rules are complex and penalties for non-compliance are severe, beginning at $13,000 per year.

What if my income level is less than the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion?

Even if your income from employment is below the exclusion amount of $105,900 for 2019, you must still file a tax return if your total earnings are greater than the income thresholds mentioned above. It is also important to keep in mind that the exclusion applies only to earned income. This means that income from pensions and social security, for example, does not qualify for the exclusion.

What about the double-taxation treaty between the United States and Switzerland?

The treaty has provisions in place to ensure that taxpayers will not pay tax twice on the same income. However, that does not mean that if you pay Swiss tax on your income you will never pay U.S. tax. For example, if someone pays income tax at a 15% rate in Switzerland and that same income would be taxed at 20% in the U.S., the difference of 5% will still have to paid to the U.S.

Anything else I should know?

If you own, or have an ownership interest in a foreign corporation, you may be required to file a Form 5471 to declare your ownership interest. Failure to file the form can result in a penalty of $10,000 per year.

If you received a distribution from a foreign trust or a gift of $100,000 or more from a nonresident alien (non-U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder) you must file Form 3520 to declare the receipt of the distribution or gift. Unsurprisingly, the penalties for failure to file can be severe.

If you are liable for U.S. taxes you should not own non-U.S. mutual funds. These qualify for U.S. tax purposes as PFIC’s (Passive Foreign Investment Company) and ownership can result in increased filing requirements as well as very high effective tax rates when sold.



Internal Revenue Service

Report of Foreign Bank Accounts (FBAR)

Currency Tools (OANDA)

U.S. Embassy Switzerland

American Citizens Abroad

American Club of Zürich