+41 (0)44 212 40 60 info@pilotagetax.ch

Any American who wishes to obtain or renew a U.S. passport will now be required to first have a social security number. If the first-time applicant is over the age of 12, he/she can get help through the Swiss Embassy in Bern or the Consulate in Zurich to obtain the social security number.

If the first time social security applicant is under the age of 13, he/she must apply through the SSA Federal Benefits Unit in Frankfurt, Germany (https://de.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/)

If you are not yet tax or FBAR compliant and are concerned that receiving a social security number will put you on the IRS radar then contact us to discuss your options for getting back into U.S. tax compliance. There are a number of IRS programs available to help you get into the system, such as the Streamlined Filing Program, even if you have never filed a U.S. return or are years behind.